Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book Number One

A few weeks ago I traveled down to NYC for the Teacher's College 82nd Saturday Reunion.  I had the opportunity to take a session on Nonfiction Writing Minilessons  with a staff developer named Sarah.  It was a fantastic session and really had me thinking about how to better craft my minilessons to be sure they are focused and beneficial to my students. 
Sarah shared with us a blog that she has, Read Write Play.  It was reading her blog post on "Making Text Sets, Reading Across Genres, and Compare and Contrast Skills in Reading Workshop " where I learned of the book Reality Checks: Teaching Reading Comprehension with Nonfiction K-5 by Tony Stead. 

I was drawn to this book by the example that Sarah shared from her teaching.  A colleague and I had just given a whole group lesson using the RAN chart(she had learned of it at the conference as well).  It had me wanting to read more.  Unfortunately, Barnes and Nobel doesn't have the book in stores and I need to order online.  I've ordered the book and plan to have it within the next two weeks.  I'll update once it is in hand and make a plan to read and discuss! I hope that you are able to get  a copy of the book during this time and join me as I read and discuss!

5 comments:

  1. your colleague sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is! I am so lucky to have her :)I just hope she knows how much I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe,I have finally found more geeks like me! So happy to be working with you! I love you! Great blog, I have a book suggestion... Comprehension Going Forward... when we are done with the 1st one. You know I ordered it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha Ha! I didn't order it, but it was definitely on my list of next reads! I'll add it to Furture Reads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the Kindle edition...hope that is nerdy enough for yall nerds.

    ReplyDelete